"But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble. O my Strength, I sing praise to you; you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God."
Suicide bombers kill dozens of Christians in attacks on churches in NIGERIA
June 3, A suicide bomber detonated explosives at the gate of the Living Faith Church in Bauchi, Nigeria, as members were leaving after the morning worship service, killing at least 10 and injuring 20 people.
The explosion also damaged the nearby Harvest Field Church.
In a media report an eyewitness said, "Security agents who were within the vicinity of the 2 churches tried to force the suicide bomber to stop at a security checkpoint, but the bomber crashed his car into the gates of one of the 2 churches, the Living Faith church, killing many people and injuring many others."
In separate attacks on 9 June, another suicide bomber detonated explosives at Christ's Chosen Church of God in the Plateau state killing at least 2 Christians and injuring more than 40. Also in the state of Borno, 2 Christians were shot dead at a church during a Sunday worship service.
The Islamic extremist group, Boko Haram has been suspected to have carried out the attacks. The group is said to be responsible for killing at least 530 people this year alone. Furthermore it is reported that Boko Haram destroyed over 350 churches in 2011.
- Pray for the families who have lost loved ones that they would experience the comforting presence of Christ in this time of heartbreak
- Pray that God's healing mercy flows through those nursing injuries
- Pray that God's blessing and guidance be upon the Church in Nigeria which has been under severe attack
- Please pray for the Boko Haram militants, that they would repent and come to know the love of our Lord Jesus Christ
Pastor detained for spreading Christian faith in LAOS
June 9, It is reported that a pastor in northern Laos was detained on charges of "attracting people to the Christian faith". Reports suggest that the arrest is part of a wider crackdown on evangelism in the area.
The pastor (53) was arrested on 6 June, at his home and then transferred to the Luang Namtha provincial prison, which is some 50km away from his home in Peeyur village.
The arrest comes a week after Lao authorities released 6 Thai Christians who were detained on 24 March on similar charges.
In a media report, an official of an advocacy group working in the area stated "Local church leaders strongly believe that the Lao government wants to eliminate Christianity in the Luang Namtha province and other areas in Laos."
- Please pray for the safety and quick release of the imprisoned pastor
- Pray that pastors and missionaries in Laos will not lose heart, but persevere to proclaim the Gospel
- Pray that authorities in Laos would respect basic human rights, and would not discriminate against Christians
Intimidation against Christians continue to worsen in IRAN
June 11, In a wave of intimidation against Christians and churches, authorities in Iran are reportedly targeting the officially recognised small number of Protestant churches and the house church movement, raising widespread concern about the safety of Christians in the country.
In early May, leaders of the Assemblies of God church in Tehran were ordered by the Ministry of Intelligence to submit the names and ID numbers of all members. The church has long been under surveillance and the latest is likely to result in it being even more difficult for those from Muslim backgrounds to attend the church.
It is also reported that more than 20 Christians remain imprisoned across Iran.
On 24 May, a Christian couple who were presbyters and teachers at Immanuel Evangelical Church were arrested following a raid on their home by security authorities. Their whereabouts remain unknown.
- Pray that all Christians in Iran will come to experience the protection of the Father, comfort of the Son and the guidance of the Holy Spirit
- Pray for all Church and fellowship group leaders, that they would know the Spirit's discernment and wisdom
- Pray that all Christians detained in Iran will be released soon and together with their families, will know the peace, presence and protection of Jesus Christ our Lord
- Pray for all officials involved, that they will love mercy, act justly, come to know about Jesus and choose to follow him
- Middle East Concern
The World Evangelical Alliance is a global ministry working with local churches around the world to join in common concern to live and proclaim the Good News of Jesus in their communities. God is glorified and the nations of the earth are forever transformed.
The purpose of the WEA Religious Liberty Prayer Release is to keep you informed and mobilized in prayer and intercession for the needs of justice and religious liberty in the Church around the globe, so that we can stand together for the work of the Kingdom and the healing of the Nations. The Prayer Release is comprised on the basis of different credible Christian based resources.